About me

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

One of those days

Everyone has one of those days, at least now and again. People who say they do not are liars, just like the spouses who say they never argued.

Today, I'm having one of those days, and no, it's not work-related.  It's ISP-related.

My building is advertised that as wired for cable and DSL.  That is true.  However, the devil is in the details.

Southern Bell has, apparently, decided that they will not offer DSL service here.  They did that last summer when I was a subscriber.  Note the use of past tense there.

Before that, I used Time Warner Cable, TWC.  This was sorta OK for a while, at least until I grew suspicious of customer service telling me about sunspots when I called to ask about digital static.  SyFy monsters can sound really odd with digital static.  I terminated the digital TV service and gave them back the digital recorder, but retained Road Runner.  The problems with service interruption continued.  They liked to blame my wireless router.

Then there was that afternoon when I overheard the telephone conversation from the service guy.  My cable was spliced.  A lot.  End of story for TWC.

Fast forward to last summer when Southern Bells decided we were no longer worthy.  I checked out Clear, and it appeared that their wireless service would be equivalent to DSL.  It was about my last choice, and I set up the account.  It was sufficient for a while.

At this point, it's about a third of the advertised speed.  I expect to be calling some state agency at some point.

Anyway, what has this to do with mushrooms and mushmoons?

Rather than start a screaming episode on the phone with Clear's ever so inadequate and unempowered customer service, I walked up the the local convenience store for a Diet Coke. 44 ounces.  A little diversion for me will probably make the world a little better for all involved.  Besides, if I'm going to piss and moan about something, it might as well be something useful like a cold Diet Coke on a very hot day.

Along the way, I looked for the mushrooms I photographed last Sunday and then lost, but could not find them.  I suppose the mother ship really did come for them.  However, I did find these.


And from another angle (without my butt hanging out into five lanes of traffic).


And finally



A worked did something here a few days ago, and spread straw from God knows where to cover the disturbed soil.  I suppose the idea is to control erosion while the grass seeds sprout and take root.  In 100-degree weather.

The straw came with mushroom spores, all from a far off place.  That should make some interesting cross-pollination.  However, looking at the weather forecast, the mother ship had better come soon because these mushmoons will quickly dry up and blow away.

Too bad coaxial cable spores didn't arrive with that straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment